How the competition works
- One hundred and fifty schools are selected by the Western Cape Education Department to participate in Growsmart every year.
- Each school is represented by a team of three learners in Grades 4, 5 and 6. Each year, different learners are chosen to represent their schools in the various competition.
- Learners who have already competed in Growsmart may not compete again the following year.
- Each team has a mentor who guides them and helps them prepare for the competition.
- There are three levels to the Growsmart competition. All schools compete in Level 1 and the winners of each round advance to Level 2.
- Eight winners of Level 2 advance to the semi-final, of which five will advance to the final. All competition rounds are held on Saturdays.